What Do my MINI Cooper Warning Lights Mean?
If you’ve noticed a new light on your dashboard during that Minnetonka commute, don’t start panicking or jumping to conclusions. Each of the MINI Cooper warning light symbols represents something different, so a quick search can help you determine if and when you need to visit your local service center.
Our guide to the most common MINI Cooper warning lights and their meanings is designed to help you get started, and our service team is here to help with everything else!
Red MINI Cooper Warning Light
Red MINI Cooper warning lights might look intimidating, but they can range from very minor to major issues. Here are a few common MINI Cooper warning light meanings:
- Brake System: Your brake system is not functioning properly. Drive with caution and schedule an appointment at a service center as soon as possible.
- Parking Brake: Your parking brake is currently activated. Release it before driving.
- Approach Control Warning: This is a function of your safety system, indicating that you are too close to the vehicle in front of you.
- Person Warning: This is also a function of your safety system, indicating a pedestrian is approaching and you should brake immediately.
Orange MINI Cooper Warning Light
Orange MINI Cooper warning light symbols are primarily used to show that a drive assist feature is activated:
- Vehicle Detection: This symbol glows when a car is detected ahead of you on the Minneapolis or St Louis Park roads. But if the light flashes, the system itself is no longer functioning properly.
- Active Cruise Control: This symbol shows your Active Cruise Control settings. The number of bars on your dashboard represent your selected following distance.
Yellow MINI Cooper Warning Lights
What if you notice yellow MINI Cooper warning lights? These issues are frequently serious, and they almost always require your attention. Here are the most common warning lights you’ll see:
- Engine Light: If your MINI Cooper shows a yellow engine warning light, there is an issue with the emission system of your vehicle. If the light begins to flash, this is a sign of excessive engine misfiring.
- Tire Pressure Monitor: One or more of your tires are not filled to the optimal air pressure. This should resolve itself once you inflate your tires, but if not, you might need a system reset.
- Steering System: Your steering system is not performing as it should be. Make sure your vehicle gets checked as soon as possible.
- Anti-Lock Braking System: The brake force boost is not functioning properly in your car, and you may have braking issues as a result. Have your vehicle serviced immediately.
Schedule Your Service with Motorwerks MINI
From yellow engine warning lights to red brake lights, MINI Cooper warning light meanings can be tricky to understand. Feel free to contact us with any questions about your vehicle or schedule your service appointment online to resolve the problem with our experts. We’re here to help with any issue you’re facing, from major repairs to MINI Cooper key fob battery replacement.