How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
Selling a car at a dealership is as easy as bringing it in for an appraisal, but savvy Minnetonka-area drivers know that the devil is in the details. Learning how to sell your car at a dealership the smart way can help you maximize its value. Since our offers are not contingent on whether or not you buy a car from us, you can even walk out with cash in hand! We’ve laid out everything that you should expect.
How Does Selling Your Car to a Dealership Work?
Selling a car to a dealership is a relatively straightforward and simple process, and it becomes even easier when you take these steps prior to your appraisal:
- Acquire Your Car’s Title: Since most dealerships cannot buy a vehicle without a title, you’ll need to have this slip of paper handy if you want the process to go smoothly. You should receive the title automatically if you’ve successfully paid off your loan, but it may also be possible to trade-in a car that you’re still paying off. Ask us how it’s done.
- Research Your Vehicle’s Value: This one’s important. Knowing how much your car is really worth is the first step in maximizing your return. Take advantage of our trade-in valuation tool and do additional research on websites like Kelley Blue Book®.
- Detail Your Vehicle’s History: A detailed service history and a list of your vehicle’s features are both invaluable assets. They help the dealership understand how much your vehicle is really worth, and models that come with more assurances are always worth more on the lot.
- Clean Up Your Vehicle: Making repairs and getting your vehicle detailed are surefire ways to increase its value. Fix up scratches and dents, and make sure that your vehicle looks as new as it can!
Different St Louis Park-area dealerships have different needs. Although Motorwerks MINI would be happy to take a look at any vehicle you’re interested in selling, drivers with particularly old or worn-down vehicles may also want to check out local dealerships that deal exclusively in used cars.
What Does the Trade-In Process Entail?
Whether you’re trading in your vehicle or selling it for cash, you can expect to run through four simple steps:
- Make an Appointment: Although you don’t have to call in advance, doing so allows the dealership to draw up all the necessary paperwork in preparation.
- Talk to a Used Car Manager: You’ll speak with the dealership’s used car manager, an expert on pre-owned sales who knows what to look for in a vehicle history report. Prepare to provide plenty of information on your vehicle.
- Vehicle Inspection: The used car manager will turn your vehicle over to the dealership’s service team, and they’ll go over all of the most important aspects of its condition and construction.
- Consider Your Offer: Following the inspection, the dealership will make you an offer. Here’s where your research will come in handy. You can decide to accept or reject the offer, and some dealerships may even be willing to negotiate. In most cases, you’ll have the option to trade it in and apply the value toward your next vehicle purchase, or sell it and walk out with cash-in-hand.
Benefits of Selling Your Car
Learning how to sell a car at a dealership is the easiest way to offload an old vehicle and start a new adventure. Here, we’ve highlighted just a few of the most important benefits:
- Lower Your Purchase Price: Selling your used car to a dealership will lower your total costs, your tax bill, and your monthly payments. Selling a car privately allows you to make a larger down payment, but you’ll still have to pay taxes on the new vehicle’s full price! If you sell your car at a dealership, you’ll only pay taxes on the difference between your new vehicle’s price and your trade-in value.
- Save Time & Energy: Selling a car on your own can take weeks or even months. Selling a used car at a dealership might take an hour or less, and you may not have to do any haggling at all. For more buying tips like turning a lease early, visit Motorwerks MINI.” Bold text is anchor text
You’ve Come This Far, So Sell Your Car to Motorwerks MINI!
You can sell your old car at any dealership near Minneapolis or Golden Valley, but we’d like to think that our recent customer reviews speak for themselves! Contact us to schedule your appraisal or just drop in when it’s convenient for you.
More from Motorwerks MINI
The MINI Countryman size can be a bit deceiving. It is no doubt a compact vehicle, but the MINI Cooper Countryman interior is surprisingly spacious and accommodating. If you’re looking at upgrading your Minnetonka commute with a fun-to-drive MINI Cooper Countryman, you’ll enjoy its go-kart handling as much as its comfortable and well-equipped cabin. Lear…
Are you interested in upgrading your Minnetonka commute behind the wheel of an exciting new MINI Cooper EV? The MINI Cooper SE Electric Hardtop is not only eco-friendly, but it will also help you eliminate those costly visits to your local Golden Valley-area gas station. One thing that anyone looking into buying an electric vehicle will…
Ready to upgrade your Minnetonka commute with an exciting new MINI Countryman? There are six 2023 MINI Cooper Countryman trim levels to choose from, and whether you opt for the entry-level Countryman, the mid-range MINI Cooper Countryman S, or the all-wheel drive MINI Countryman Cooper S ALL4, you’ll enjoy the spirited performance and a wide…